Tuesday, October 13, 2009

MEMORY LANE

As I JOG MY MEMORY through the years, how can I forget MY childhood, and the magic that brought me to the present?  An only child, my parents ALFRED AND ANNIE GUILLOT, when I was born were "share croppers" out in the country. As a two year old, and, because my MOM was ill, my DAD carried me around in a burlap sack so that he could pick cotton and care for the farm animals.  I remember so well in the afternoon waiting on the porch steps for DAD to bring me a warm glass of milk from "DAISY" our Jersey Cow! Whoever heard of pasteurized milk back then??
Because they'd had very little education, my parents decided that when I became school age they must relocate to the city so that I could be enrolled in kindergarten. My DAD got a job delivering ICE, to people lucky enough to have a refrigerator, in a horse drawn carriage..and MOM was a "cook" for the hired men at the Cotton Gin (where farmers brought their freshly picked cotton to be ginned and baled ready to be brought to the factories to make fabric)! My MOM sooned opened her own store and was a great merchandiser/saleslady gem, and, of course I was the recipient of lovely clothes each season.
Although I had been singing from a very early age, school is where that love was first recognized by my teachers and classmates. I think it made me aware of the great values we find in life and, how satisfying it is to accomplish goals for oneself, independent of others.
High School opened doors in MUSIC and other related areas and, in 1946 I became that high school's very first MAJORETTE, participating in musicals and school plays at every opportunity until graduation in January of 1947.
Because of my accomplishments in typing and shorthand, it was easy to find my first job w/an Attorney and after receiving a degree in SECRETARIAL SCIENCE, I became Secretary to the City Mayor..where I found the young man I was to share my life with!  YOUNG AND FOOLISH, but ready to conquer the world together!

No comments:

Post a Comment